- 1 cup shortening (I used Crisco Butter flavor shortening sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, 3 to 4 lemons
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin cups with paper bake cups or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg yolks, beating until well combined.
- In a separate bowl. combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with lemon juice, beating well after each addition. End with dry ingredients.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter. Stir in lemon zest.
- Fill muffin cups about three-quarters full. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the glaze by mixing together the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice. Stir until smooth.
- When muffins have cooled slightly, dip the muffin crown into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden.
Click here to check out the amazing blogs where this post is linked.
Every Monday we are sharing a delicious recipe for muffins. If you have a muffin recipe, please share it with us by linking up below:
Here are a few suggestions for linking your muffin recipe:
- Link directly to your recipe and not to your web page
- Scroll down to the button that says “click here to enter”
- Please include a link back to Muffin Monday, somewhere on your post